Monday, May 18, 2009

A stranger's touch

This is a great article which is very related our topic, but that's terrible situations, like a walmart and Nickel and dimed because the owners are cheating worker out of wages. The owners take advantage of immigrant's weakness that they do not have working visa.
First of all, I do not like the title because they are not stranger, they are working for surviving. Even though you do not know them and they do not speak English, they just working.
Secondly, I could imagine this situation more than we read book and watched movies because this incident is in Manhattan. Even though I have never been to a spa, I heard this situations from my friends. I know nowadays beauty business a spa, massages and pedicures have large market share in NYC. For example, I have a friend, she love to have pedicures. She go to have pedicures once a week. She told me some workers do no speak English in Harlem, but it is cheap. I understand pedicure is only painting on nail. Even though workers do not professionals, they can work.
i think I know this situations before taking this class. I can feel very familiar to these work conditions. On the other hand, I think Manhattan is difference because wage is more higher than other cities. Even though owners cheat workers out of wages, I think most worker do not complain the wages because its enough.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post - I think with the word 'stranger' the author doesn't mean anything negative - just that the customer doesn't know the worker, while they're doing something intimate - touching them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I feel ease now. I just misunderstood. I wondered that even though title is that, I did not feel any negative things during reading.

    ReplyDelete